The Historical Society of Old Yarmouth was founded in 1953 and has several hundred members, who conduct educational programs, lectures, and special events throughout the year. It operates the Captain Bangs Hallet House Museum at 11 Strawberry Lane, Yarmouth Port. It is the only Cape Cod sea captain's house open to the public. The museum is open mid-June to mid-October for docent-led tours Fridays-Sundays, 1 to 4 p.m. (last tour starts 3). The fully furnished 19th century home features the sea captains who lived and sailed out of Yarmouth Port to ports in the Far East and elsewhere to bring back goods such as tea, silk and porcelain. Some of the treasures they brought back for their families are on view. The tour also includes the original 18th century colonial kitchen on the lower floor.
The society has an office with Yarmouth historical archives at the Cobbler Shop next to the Yarmouth Port Post Office, Kelley Chapel where weddings and other events are held, a walking trail behind the chapel of a 50-acre forested preserve, all off Route 6A in Yarmouth Port. The office is open Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
May 24, 2021
Dec 15, 2019