Job Title: Director of Advancement
Reports to: Executive Director
Areas of Responsibility: Development, Marketing, Communications
- Manage the creation and execution of the Center’s development, fundraising, marketing and communications programs to achieve the Center’s goals. Programs inclusive of, but not limited to, annual appeals, major gifts program, membership, business and personal sponsorships, planned giving, fundraising and programming events, grants, annual reports, publicity and marketing for all Center programs, and communications strategies.
- In consultation with the Executive Director, recruit, interview, and select well-qualified development, marketing and communications staff.
- Responsible for management and mentorship of all development, marketing and communications staff.
- Develop and implement communications plans to connect with current and future donors, members, and patrons so to increase awareness of the Center and its programming, fundraising needs, and short and long term growth strategies through print materials, regular e-newsletters, press releases and internet/social media presence.
- Oversee marketing/graphic design staff with a responsibility for the design and production of all visual collateral for marketing and publicity purposes of the organization including, but not limited to the website, programming magazine and advertising programs
- Oversee the Center’s website and social media presence for all programming, development and fundraising activities inclusive of content development and updates.
- Oversee management of Center’s communications and advertising calendar, using best practices for communications frequency and messaging, and measuring effectiveness and response rates.
- Responsible for accurate and complete maintenance of fundraising databases including data entry, documentation of donor contacts, preparation of mailing lists, fundraising reports, foundation identification and tracking, gift processing and gift acknowledgement.
- Conduct research, identification, cultivation and solicitation of major gift prospects for unrestricted operating revenue and restricted projects.
- Support and implement strategies to cultivate, solicit and steward current and prospective donors.
- Develop and manage, the fundraising, marketing, advertising and communications budgets.
- Identify areas and functions where volunteers can support the advancement organization; recruit, train and manage volunteers in these roles.
- Represent the organization, as needed, at Center, public, corporate, foundation events and conferences, some of which may occur on evenings and weekends.
- Serve as clearinghouse for all external communications and messaging.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by the Executive Director in order to meet the goals of the organization’s strategic, fundraising, marketing and communication plans.
Education, Qualification, Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum eight years professional development and fundraising experience. Experience in an arts or educational organizations preferred but not required.
- Model a high degree of integrity and commitment and passion for the Center’s mission.
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication and relationship skills, including the ability to communicate with and effectively interact with the Center’s Board, staff, current and potential donors, volunteers, patrons, artists and students.
- Exceptional written, oral, electronic and presentation communication abilities.
- Strong working knowledge of donor data base management software such as Altru.
- Demonstrated strong word processing, spreadsheet and database skills.
- Demonstrated organizational, project management and self-initiative skills including ability to prioritize, focus, manage multiple tasks and anticipate and meet deadlines.
- Absolute commitment to accuracy, timeliness and confidentiality.
- Excellent care and attention to detail. Demonstrated initiative, resourcefulness and problem solving capabilities.
- A strong work ethic, able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Flexible and able to manage priorities and respond to multiple demands.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.